By Cassandra Kerr
Collagen has been a buzz word in the wellness industry over the past few years and seems to be buzzing louder than ever recently, and for very good reason. It's a necessity; a vital protein for healthy skin, joints, hair and nails, digestion and heart health.
Collagen has a myriad of benefits, it's what makes us move with ease, have soft skin, not age as quickly, and boast strong bones.
Where does collagen come from, I hear you ask? Us! It’s flowing through our bodies as we speak, it's something we're born with, and produce in abundance - hello super-soft-deliciously-supple-and-perfectly-kissable baby skin!
In fact, it’s the biggest protein in our bodies and actually accounts for almost 1/3 of our total protein. However, as we get older, it decreases and depletes which from a beauty perspective results in wrinkles, dry skin, loss of suppleness and lack-lustre, brittle, slow growing hair and nails. From a wellness point of view it impacts our bone density, muscle tone, joint mobility and digestion, which is why we need to make sure we are putting it back into our bodies.
When formulating the L O V E W E L L mama formula Blossom, collagen had to be a priority for all these amazing aforementioned benefits. However, aside from the collagen we have in our bodies, collagen is only found in the connective tissues of animals - which goes against the L O V E W E L L ethos and plant based formula... Enter the amazing team of nutritionists thought outside the box and voila… enter, Tremella mushroom.
Tremella mushroom, AKA silver ear or snow mushroom, has been famous in China for thousands of years because of its anti-ageing power… It's known as the beauty mushroom, and now we know why.
Tremella mushroom can hold up to 500 times its weight in water, promoting collagen health, natural production and is intensely hydrating from within.
This makes it a natural alternative to Hyaluronic Acid, another vital element in the anti-ageing process. Together, collagen and Hyaluronic Acid are a powerhouse combination. But what does this mean exactly? Simply; regular consumption = flawless skin.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is a key selling point in the beauty and skincare industry, that’s because it’s the bees knees when it comes to moisture. And, you guessed it, like collagen our natural bodily production of HA also slows down with age… hence the need to generate more. However, as Tremella Mushroom boasts smaller particles than HA it can penetrate the skin much easier.
So the proof is in the pudding folks, Tremella Mushroom is a powerhouse in terms of helping your body naturally produce collagen and naturally mimicking HA… and these two combined are powerful when it comes to skin health and overall wellness.
Want more? Below are 5 benefits of supporting the production of collagen in your body naturally (you can thank us later)!
5 Health Benefits of Collagen Production
1. Skin: Your skin and collagen need each other. It really is the secret sauce when it comes to anti-ageing naturally. By supporting the production of collagen in your body, you’re helping your skin remain supple and soft, brighten your complexion, reduce wrinkles, retain moisture and look less ‘lack-lustre’, and keep that beautiful elasticity! Collagen also helps other proteins support skin structure.
2. Hair and Nails: There’s a misconception that using hair and nail products topically stimulate growth and hair/nail health. However, the truth is, like with anything beauty and wellness related… it comes from within!
By aiding your body in naturally producing collagen, you’ll increase strength, quality, structure and shine, accelerate growth and decrease breakage and brittleness of both hair and nails.
3. Muscles, Bones and Joints: Collagen is essential for muscle, joint and bone health. It helps with muscle mass, joint pain, inhibits bone breakdown, and helps keep cartilage protecting your joints by keeping them strong and healthy.
4. Gut and Digestion: While studies in this area is in its early days, researchers are putting together links between collagen, gut health and digestion. Results look promising, highlighting that collagen could have a significant impact in treating leaky gut, aiding digestion, regulating gut pH levels and assisting healing intestinal wall lining associated with IBS and other inflammatory gut conditions.
5. Heart Health: Collagen has been linked to studies that show it aids in protecting against the build-up of plaque in arteries, and reducing cholesterol levels, which is vital in ensuring a healthy heart and preventing certain heart related illnesses as we age.
There you have it! By incorporating Tremella Mushroom into your daily routine, you’re packing a punch in the nutrient department, allowing your body to naturally produce collagen and Hyaluronic Acid from the inside.
Sound good? Stock up on Blossom here to get your daily fix of collagen & so much more.
Cassandra Kerr is a creative, a dreamer and the founder of For, She Is You; an online platform to inspire, empower and encourage girls and women to be kind to themselves and each other. She is deeply passionate about wellness, particularly holistic health, skincare, mindfulness and anxiety. She wears her heart on her sleeve and is a lover of handwritten notes, romantic movies and New York City.